About the Program
The Get Ready to Run School Program introduces students to the benefits of running, physical fitness and healthy lifestyle choices in a fun and rewarding way! Our goals are to assist K-5th graders in building endurance, setting and accomplishing long-term fitness goals and enhancing their self-esteem while teaching valuable lessons about making health and fitness a regular part of their lives.
The Get Ready to Run lessons and activities were developed by health and wellness experts at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi in cooperation with the Mississippi Department of Education and fully support the Mississippi Framework for Physical Education and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education Standards.
Eligible students from participating schools will also have the opportunity to run the Get Ready to Run Kids’ One-Mile Fun Run at no cost! Students who run on race day can also help earn up to $2,000 in award money to support their schools' P.E. program. Each region will have its own separate Kids' One-Mile Fun Run. Students will register and participate only in the Kids' One-Mile Fun Run associated with their school's region.
Benefits of the Get Ready to Run Program
- Weekly curriculum that meet the guidelines for the Mississippi Department of Education’s Physical Education Standards.
- Fun and practical ways to help your students learn how to be active and stay healthy for life.
- Entry to the Get Ready to Run Kids’ One-Mile Fun Run at no cost.
- Each participant will receive an official race packet that includes a race shirt and shoe laces.
- Each participant to cross the finish line will receive a finisher’s medal.
- Opportunity to win award money for your school’s P.E. program.