About the Program
What is Get Ready to Run?
The Get Ready to Run School Program introduces students to the benefits of running, physical fitness and healthy lifestyle choices in a fun and rewarding way! Our goals are to assist K-5th graders in building endurance, setting and accomplishing long-term fitness goals and enhancing their self-esteem while teaching valuable lessons about making health and fitness a regular part of their lives.
The Get Ready to Run lessons and activities were developed by health and wellness experts at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi in cooperation with the Mississippi Department of Education and fully support the Mississippi Framework for Physical Education.
Eligible students from participating schools will also have the opportunity to run the Get Ready to Run Kids’ One-Mile Fun Run at no cost! Students who participate in the Fun Run can also help earn $2,000 in award money to support their schools' P.E. program. Each region will have its own separate Kids' One-Mile Fun Run. Students will register and participate only in the Kids' One-Mile Fun Run associated with their school's region.
Benefits of the Get Ready to Run Program:
- Weekly curriculum that meet the guidelines for the Mississippi Department of Education’s Physical Education Standards.
- Fun and practical ways to help your students learn how to be active and stay healthy for life.
- Entry to the Get Ready to Run Kids’ One-Mile Fun Run at no cost.
- Each participant will receive an official runner's packet that includes a t-shirt and shoelaces.
- Each participant to cross the finish line will receive a finisher’s medal.
- Opportunity to win award money for your school’s P.E. program.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I need to contact you?
Please email GetReadytoRun@bcbsms.com for answers to any other questions you may have.
Race Packet Distribution
- How do I get my packet? Can someone pick up my packet for me?
- What is in my packet?
- What is a runner bib/race number?
- Can I exchange my t-shirt size?
- Are t-shirts available for purchase?
- What if my child did not get their race packet?
Race Day Details
- What is the time and location of the race?
- What is the distance of the race?
- Where should I park on race day?
- Where do we go once we get to the race site?
- Do I need to check in on race day?
- Can I register to participate on race day?
- Can I bring my bike, roller blades, baby jogger/stroller?
- What happens in the event of bad weather?
- Can I run with my child?
- Can a sibling run with participating children?
- I have two children registered for the race. Can my 3rd and 5th graders run together?
- I registered my three children to participate in the race. My schedule has changed and we will be out of town. Can I give my race numbers to a parent who missed the deadline?
- How do you keep children safe along the course?
- Where and how do parents pick up children after the run?
- What if I don’t have my claim ticket?
- What is the race route?
- What do I wear?
- What should I expect?
- What if I misplace my child’s race packet?
- Do runners have to run the full mile?
- Will I receive a medal?
- Is there a lost and found?
- Will there be snacks and drinks available for purchase after the race?
- What if my child can’t be there on race day? Will I receive a medal?
- Where do I go for questions on race day?
- Will there be first-aid on site?
- Will there be restrooms?
- Where can I find photos of the race?
- Are awards given for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners?
- Will there be an award ceremony?
- Is this a timed race event? How do I see results?
- How do I register to volunteer?
- Who is eligible to volunteer?
- What will I do as a volunteer?
- How do I sign up for volunteer training?
- What if I miss the training session I registered to attend?
- Can I get community service credit?
- What do I wear as a volunteer?
- Are the volunteer t-shirts available for purchase?